Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Amy's May 26th email! 

Hello ulit my wonderful family!

I received a text from the APs last week saying that the sister I would be training would be a foreigner!! (either American or from the Islands, not Filipino). That would mean it would be a someone who doesn't really know the language. I remember those times. It was tough. So I had to prepare myself to start speaking English again. I think my companion, Sister Suliven was a bit nervous to speak English, because she's still learning it, but because she's so positive, she told me she was super excited.

Sister Milsom, from Australia, came in on Friday!! The couple missionaries in our area drove her from the airport to our apartment. She has an awesome accent. Grabe it was so hard to speak English! haha. I'm sure it sounded really awkward at first, but I've mostly gotten used to it now. :) We have been really busy these last couple of days, trying to explore and figure out the new area that has been added to our area. It's been pretty crazy. I'm really feeling for Sister Milsom. She is so tired from all the walking, and is not used to the heat. She is overwhelmed with the language, especially because she is a talker, and doesn't know how to say hardly anything yet. But she is awesome and is determined to help the investigators with their needs and find out how we can help them progress. She is a very strong willed person, and when she wants to do something or get something done, she just does it. She'll be a blessing here in Mindoro. The branch and district here is very weak, especially in leadership, and they need to be guided in the right direction and strengthened. I'm excited to see this transfer.

I am still working on the area, and am just starting to understand it. Directions have always been one of my weaknesses, and I'm definitely being tested right now. Sister Suliven is awesome and has drawn maps for me and still quizzes me sometimes. She just finished her training program but seems like she's been in the mission for a long time. She is very responsible and mature. She's amazing.

I am loving the people here! I love the people I have met so far, and I just want to give everyone hugs because they are so wonderful!! (Only the sisters of course.)  :)  

Mom, you mentioned that teaching is a great way to drill information into your mind. That is so true. I think that's exactly the reason that Heavenly Father is giving me these opportunities to train! I feel like I'm now going through the training program for myself for the third time! I love it! I learn so much more each time. Heavenly Father knows I need drilling and knows I need repetition to learn something. So even though I'm technically training, I am really going through the training program for the third time now for myself! I am so grateful for Heavenly Father's love for me and for each one of us. He knows each one of us and exactly what we need to learn and grow into the person He knows we can become.

I love this gospel. I love this area right now. It's absolutely beautiful! (I'll have to send pics next week).  I love my companions. I love the people in this branch. I love our investigators and the less actives. I want to be able to bring this gospel to them and help them see how it will change their lives. Earlier this morning in our district meeting, our district leader shared a thought. He said something like, when we have something or experience something great or wonderful, one of the first things we do is share it with our families so they can experience that joy. That's exactly what we do as missionaries! All of us people in the world are brothers and sisters, heavenly siblings--we're all family!! So our biggest desire ought to be to share the thing that makes us the happiest with our brothers and sisters. That's the gospel of Jesus Christ!! It makes so much sense. We must get over ourselves and see them as our brothers and sisters. We must give everyone a chance to accept the gospel in their lives. I love missionary work. It's not always easy, but it is so worth it. I am changing. I feel a difference in my life, and I want that for others. I still have so much more I want to learn, and I am grateful for everything Heavenly Father has taught me so far. I am excited to see what else He has in store for each one of us! :)

I love you all!! Thank you for all your love and support. You have no idea what that means to me. I pray for you often!!

Love,
Sister Harston
 
A Beautiful day for a run on the beach!

My companions!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment