Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Amy's April 15th email home!! Plus Pictures!


Hello again my wonderful family and friends!! 

So yes, transfers happened. We added one more sister to our apartment, Sister Codangos (now companions with Sister Abonitalla, and I am now officially companions with Sister Paloma. So we are continuing the second half of the 12 week training program for her. She is super magaling (skilled) though, so I feel like she's training me sometimes. I am super excited for this transfer though. It feels good to be in a twosome. Threesomes can be awesome, too, but they can also be very challenging. Sister Paloma and I have set some good goals, and we are very open with each other. Our area, New Manila and Galas, is a very challenging area. Last transfer we were combined with two other areas, so we had a lot of appointments. Right now we have two investigators in our areas, and neither of them are really progressing as well as we'd like. They have a hard time keeping commitments. Jessica, you mentioned some of the hardest times in your mission were when the people you loved so much stopped progressing because of their agency. You are so right. It is very sad and sometimes frustrating because we can see what a wonderful life they would have with the gospel in their lives and how much happier they would be, but they struggle to just take a small step of faith. We have a few less-actives in our area, but they aren't progressing very well, either. I feel like the past missionaries in this area were a bit relaxed and most of the less-actives see missionaries just as friends who they can relax and hang out with. We're trying to change the feeling of the area, so it's taking some patience, hard work, and prayers. This transfer is going to take a lot of faith and prayers and fasting. I know there are people here that are ready to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ, we just have to find them. Heavenly Father is preparing His children to hear the gospel. We have come across several people already that said they'd be willing to listen to our message. Some are sincere, some are just being nice, and we get to put our trust in Heavenly Father to be guided to the truly sincere people. Yes, it's very hot and we're sweating tons every day, and often walk a ton, but the work is still beautiful and fun. We are missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the restored church with the fullness of the gospel here on the Earth! Sure, it's not easy to walk a long ways and then be punted, walk another long ways and then be punted again, but I'll take it and it is worth it because of the people we meet in between. There are no accidents. The Holy Ghost is real, and I am learning how to listen and follow His promptings. Heavenly Father loves each one of His children so much.

General Conference was amazing as usual. It is so amazing to listen to the Prophet of God and think, "His words are literally the words of God being spoken to us."  It's not just some person speaking, but it is Heavenly Father speaking through his holy prophets!! "  "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same" (D&C 1:38). I love how incredibly clear Heavenly Father's instruction is to us. He is straightforward and there is no way of misunderstanding. God loves us and corrects us. He guides us and directs us. We are sooo blessed!! God doesn't change. His gospel doesn't change, but times do. We receive further instruction and protection from Him through His living prophets. I am so grateful for this gospel.

I am so grateful to be a missionary for Jesus Christ's church and to be His representative. It feels so amazing to be able to share my testimony with my brothers and sisters every day.   

I love you all and continue to pray for you.

Love, 
Sister Harston
1. Us sisters at a Japanese restaurant, 'Zensho.'  The Ugay family took us sisters out to dinner for Sis. Ugay's bday! We are so spoiled/blessed.
2. Tatay Jun's baptism!!


No comments:

Post a Comment