Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Amy's February 25th email home!

Hello my wonderful family!!

This week is transfers!!! Tomorrow is our transfer day, so I don't know who my companion will be yet, but I've learned some interesting things this past week about this upcoming transfer. We got a call a couple of days ago from the office elders and they talked first with Sister Abonitalla. I've been saying for a while that she will be training this next transfer. She'd be a natural, but she resisted and said it wouldn't happen. And guess what?? They told her she'd be training. No surprise. :)  She then handed the phone to me. They asked me how I thought Sister Abonitalla would do with training, and I told them she'd be awesome. Then after a little more small talk he said something that I thought was a joke. He said, "And guess what? You're going to be training, too!" WHAT???? "Nagjojoke ka ba elder?" (Are you joking elder?) . When I realized he was serious, I was in shock to say the least. I JUST finished going through the training program! Wow. I didn't know what to say or how to feel. I had to fight back the tears. SO overwhelmed! He told me we had a meeting at the mission home the next morning to meet with all the other trainers and talk about our calling and role as trainers of the new missionaries coming in. So yesterday morning Sister Abonitalla and I went to the mission home to meet with President DeLaMare and the other missionaries. We received a booklet containing the 12 week program for the new missionaries, and a smaller book for us trainers explaining our role. We read together, discussed, and then had an activity in which we learned more about our role as trainers and the role of the trainees. We discussed some more and then President DeLaMare spoke to us about the magnitude of our calling. He blessed us in the name of Jesus Christ with the power of discernment for the new missionaries coming in and with the ability to fulfill our callings if we put our trust in the Lord. What blessings! He told us that the weight of what we are feeling is normal and can be lifted if we place it on our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We do our very best, and he will take the rest. Like Elder Turbovsky said in his last email, "he won't do anything for you that you can do for yourself." I am finding that to be true. I know I was on my knees a lot this last transfer asking for help, and I have a feeling I will be on my knees even more this transfer. There is still SO much I don't know and SO much more to learn. But like Jerry said, just when we start to feel comfortable in one spot, change happens. This is definitely not a change I was expecting, but I will put my trust in my Heavenly Father to help me. It's definitely going to be a test of faith! Here goes! 

Yesterday was an eventful day. After the meeting, we had a lunch appointment with the Ogay family in our ward and later that night Sister Acenas was picked up by the office elders because she's going home! She is now done with her mission. It's amazing how much you can grow to love someone, despite huge differences in personality or the like. She has been an awesome missionary, and it was hard to see her go. She was having a bit of a hard time, too. The house is very quiet with her gone. She was definitely the life of our house. So now it's me and Sister Abonitalla, and we spent the evening last night and this morning cleaning the house and getting it ready for our new companions!! We'll finish up later today when we get home. 

I will have to tell you all about my new companion next week! I'm nervous, excited, and scared to death! Haha. But Sister Abonitalla and I had a planning session in which we talked about how we want to be obedient in all things, and we want to be open and honest in all things. We established how we will handle shopping/cooking/cleaning each week and how we will rotate it. It felt good to be on the same page and to discuss things that we want and don't want to do. Communication is so key! I am really looking forward to this next transfer.

Thank you again for all your love and support! You are in my prayers every day, and I love you all!! Elder Turbovsky, thank you for the referral!! I will send it in. It's not in my area unfortunately, but I'll send it to the office elders and they'll send it on to the missionaries in Sebu! :)

All my love,
Sister Harston

No comments:

Post a Comment